Day 23: Kayode Johnson

If it had not been the Lord who was on our side,” Let Israel now say, “If it had not been the Lord who was on our side When men rose up against us, Then they would have [quickly] swallowed us alive, When their wrath was kindled against us; Then the waters would have engulfed us, The torrent would have swept over our soul; Then the raging waters would have swept over our soul.” Blessed be the Lord , Who has not given us as prey to be torn by their teeth. We have escaped like a bird from the snare of the fowlers; The trap is broken and we have escaped. Our help is in the name of the Lord , Who made heaven and earth.
Psalms 124:1‭-‬8 AMP

The year started on a quiet and peaceful night loaded with unimaginable bundles of opportunities and possibilities. I had barely spent 15 months on the new role I took up in a foremost private hospital in Lagos, Nigeria.

Everythung was fine and promised to be normal with no perceived case of unusual happenings or occurences.

The year had been declared as my year of Immeasurable Grace giving me the confidence to approach the year with all optimism filled with expectations about what God can do with a life that is totally sold out to Him.

Little did I know it was going to be a life-changing, faith-testing, and destiny-moulding year for me.

Stepping into 2020 was with great excitement with no thought or serious concern about what was termed The Chinese Virus because the whole world had believed it was just a Chinese problem that would not go beyond Wuhan, China.

What grave mistake and assumption that was globally!

Plans were firmed up, goals were set, KPIs established, and all was set for a great business and career year.

Then it happened! The first case of the virus outside Wuhan and by extension to other parts of the world. Before we could settle down to comprehend the magnitude of the virus’ devastation, it was already in Nigeria.

Sometime in late March 2020, I had contact with a couple of people out of official duty and one of these happened to covid-19 infected but without any notable symptom at that time.

At the time, knowledge about how the virus manifests in the body was limited with no clear guideline for diagnosis or treatment.

I started feeling itchiness in my throat and it got a little bit discomforting but I ignored it taking it for the usual Sora throat believing that with some mint it would disappear.

It wasn’t until the Thursday preceding the Easter holiday that I began to experience severe aches in every joint and all over my body.

Being a very sporty person, I tried everything I’d always done to relax myself but it didn’t work.

I decided to see a doctor the next day and after running some tests, I was placed on malaria treatment. It didn’t get any better but rather got worse and after the third day I returned to the Hospital for further treatment.

It was after the third day after commencing the malaria treatment with no improvement that I began to suspect covid-19 because imformation had began to trickle in little bits and I had jumped into the web to glean information about the virus and it’s manifestations.

I had severe symptoms, except for pneumonia fever and respiratory distress. Some of the symptoms I experienced include seriously itchy and discomforting throat, naseau (feeling like vomiting), severe body and joint ache, extreme weakness (this lasted for about 2 months), sleep deprivation, dry cough at the initial stage which metamorphosed into wet cough with muccor, severe headache, extremely high fever, loss of appetite, acute malaria symptoms, and notable loss of weight/flesh.

There was no where to test at the time I went through all these experiences but I began a series of home remedy (combination of medical and alternative medicine interventions), which alleviated the pains I had.

I had my first covid-19 test on 22-April-2020 but the result did come out until after about 16 days but while waiting I went for another test at NIMR which returned a negative result.

However, I got a call from NIMR for a confirmatory test because the caller said “we are not too certain about the outcome and would like you to come for a repeat test.

From May 6th, 2020 till about the last day in July 2020, I had had about 4 tests with every test returning positive results.

However, my health improved greatly and every symptom disappeared, and I regained full strength in first week of August 2020.



Although God’s promises about sicknesses and infirmities are certain, the experience helped to give the right perspective to unpleasant experiences in the lives of believers.

The covid-19 experience strengthened my confidence and resolve in God’s ability to save and deliver even I’m crisis. The experience killed the “God, why me” phrase and brought me to the level where I can boldly say “if God is with me, nothing can hurt or harm me because God is able to keep me”.

God proved His awesomeness by ensuring that no member of my household got infected with the virus despite the fact that I was within the same apartment (though had to self – isolate for about two weeks at some point).

Today, I am fully recovered and provide support to friends and colleagues with symptoms suggestive of covid-19 infection encouraging them not to see it as a stigma but a passing phase of their lives.

I take solace in God’s words that say “…in all things, give thanks to God because…we know that all things work together for the good of those who love God…”

Finally, don’t ever forget that ‘until God says it’s over, no man can write you off“.


Twitter & Instagram: kayotunde
LinkedIn: Johnson Kayode


Season’s Greetings from Perry’s Tors.🎄

Kindly subscribe to the blog via mail below so you don’t miss any post.

You may also like

Join the conversation.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.